How Eating Fat Can Make You Smarter
Would you believe us if we said Fat (once considered a foe, is now considered a friend) is good for your brain and can actually make you smarter? We thought it may be a stretch so let’s take a look at exactly why this is true and change your skepticism into confidence.
Around 60% of our brain is made up of fat so it should come as no surprise that by fuelling your brain with healthy dietary fat, enhances overall cognition and protects your brain from brain-related diseases. A diet high in monounsaturated fats can also increase the production of acetylcholine, a chemical released by nerve cells that send signals to activate muscles and other cells. This chemical also plays an important role in learning and memory.
Some of the dietary fats closely linked to enhancing brain power:
- Polyunsaturated Fat – These fats typically contain omega acids 3 and 6 that promote healthy brain function which can be linked to a reduction in depression. Yes, please!
- DHA – Is an omega 3 fatty acid that enhances memory, motor skills, and speech. Having a diet rich in these omega 3 fatty acids has been seen to decrease depression, bipolar and ADHA in individuals.
- Saturated Fats – Known as the big chief, main man, supreme leader (you get the point) of fat is extremely necessary for healthy brain function and is known to reduce the onset of dementia, liver, and other immune disorders. It also helps to main a hormone balance.
So how can you introduce these healthy fats into your diet?
To enhance your brain power, simply add some of these foods to your diet to reap the massive brain-boosting benefits.
- Avocado – promotes healthy blood flow to the brain.
- Salmon – Rich in omega 3 fatty acids.
- Nuts – a superb source of unsaturated fat which contributes to optimum brain functioning.
- Eggs – Eggs are rich in saturated fats and choline, essential in boosting memory and brain health.
- Olive oil – Improves memory and protects your brain cells from dementia and cognitive decline.
- Coconut Oil – Aid in regenerating nerve function in the brain.
Everything in moderation
Remember, a healthy diet consists of balance. Incorporating healthy sources of fat in moderation can enhance your overall well-being and ensure optimum brain function.