Chickpea and Mushroom Burgers
This is an excellent way to enjoy #MeatFreeMonday (and get you into your vegan friends’ good books)!
Crispy on the outside and moist on the inside, this burger is super healthy and packed with optimal high-protein and plant-based ingredients.
Serve topped with fresh hummus, rocket leaves, fresh avocado and a dollop of full cream yoghurt and season with salt, pepper and chili. Throw in some sweet potato wedges if you’re really hungry!
Trust me, you wont regret making this for dinner tonight!
- Preparation Time: 00:20
- Cook Time: 00:45
- Cuisine: Vegan
- Servings: 4
- 1 tin chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 5 button mushrooms, chopped finely
- 1 red onion, chopped finely
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2 green apple, grated (remove skin)
- 1 tomato, de-pipped and finely diced
- 2 Tbsp chickpea flour (if eating clean isn't important to you, you can use cake flour)
- 2 Tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 Tbsp sesame seeds – in a small bowl, add these to 1 Tbsp olive oil and mix them together (a mortar and pestle works best)
- 1 tsp dried rosemary
- 1Pre-heat your oven to 200°C
- 2In a frying pan, bring 2 Tbsp olive oil up to heat and add the mushrooms, red onion and garlic and allow to simmer until soft
- 3In a mixing bowl, add the chickpeas and using a potato masher, start to mash the chickpeas until they are fully mashed (this might take some effort)
- 4Once the chickpeas are mashed, add the chickpea flour, the apple and the chopped tomato and mix well.
- 5Now add the mushroom-onion mix, the parsley, the sesame seed-oil mix and the rosemary
- 6Once the mixture is well mixed – roll into medium sized patties and place on a baking tray
- 7Bake for 45 minutes or until crispy